You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

MH370 search to end in two weeks: Malaysia

AAP logoAAP 6/01/2017

The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370, that went missing in 2014, is set to conclude within two weeks, Malaysia's transport minister says.

Liow Tiong Sai says and countries involved in the search - Australia, Malaysia and China - must decide whether to continue the operation in other areas.

He said the decision of whether or not to extend the search beyond the 120,000 square kilometre area of the Indian Ocean covered till now, will be taken before the end of January.

"We are in the final lap. The search will be completed in the next two weeks, then after that we will let people know," Liow told reporters in Kuala Lumpur, reported The Star.

On December 30 last year, the team of experts behind the combing operations recommended expanding the search area and continue the search in other areas of the Ocean, where the ill-fated Boeing 777 is believed to have crashed.

The Beijing-bound MH370 had disappeared on March 8, 2014, just 40 minutes after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, with 239 people on board, allegedly after someone turned off its communication systems.

So far, debris from the aircraft have been recovered from beaches in Reunion Island, Mozambique, Mauritius, South Africa and the French island of Rodrigues.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon