You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

More snoops at SA Health

AAP logoAAP 5/12/2016

Another two South Australian government health workers and a volunteer have been sacked for snooping on patient records.

SA Health says the three people lost their jobs between September 1 and November 30 for inappropriately accessing patient records.

A further four were disciplined and one worker resigned before allegations were substantiated.

The department in February committed to quarterly updates on staff disciplined for snooping on patient records, after it was revealed more than a dozen had wrongly accessed the medical records of Cy Walsh after the stabbing death of his father, former Adelaide Crows AFL coach Phil Walsh.

Thirteen staff were disciplined at the time for accessing Walsh's records after he was taken to the Flinders Medical Centre in Adelaide for tests before he was charged with murder.

Six clinicians were also disciplined and two sacked for snooping on other patients.

In June, SA Health said another three of its staff had been sacked for wrongly accessing records.

SA Health interim chief executive Vicki Kaminski said most staff do the right thing but the disciplinary process aimed to reinforce the trust South Australians had in their health system.

"We have made it clear that staff inappropriately and deliberately accessing confidential patient information would not be tolerated," she said in a statement.

"These actions and other strategies we have put in place reinforce our commitment to the highest standards of patient privacy and confidentiality."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon