You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

New calls for inquiry after SA chemo death

AAP logoAAP 8/08/2016

The death of a man involved in South Australia's chemotherapy dosing bungle has led a fellow victim to renew his push for a judicial inquiry.

Bronte Higham, 67, who died on Sunday after relapsing from leukaemia earlier this year, was one of 10 patients under-dosed at two Adelaide hospitals between July 2014 and January 2015 because of a typographical error.

His emotional testimony to a parliamentary committee on the incident in May led the state government to offer $100,000 in compensation to victims.

Mr Higham is the third victim to die since the wrong doses were administered, following Christopher McRae, 67, and Johanna Pinxteren, 76.

Fellow victim Andrew Knox, who is currently in remission, has paid tribute to Mr Higham and renewed his call for a full judicial inquiry into the saga.

"The only way to respect this man's life and contribution to the state by highlighting these things is to put it in the hands of a judge," he told FiveAA radio.

He said a coronial inquest into the deaths won't go far enough, as it won't investigate what he believes has been a cover-up by the state government.

"They are using all their efforts to stop anybody from outside looking into this culture that allowed not only the error to occur but the serial covering up, right up until May of this year," he said.

Opposition Leader Steven Marshall tweeted on Monday that Health Minister Jack Snelling should initiate a review.

"Snelling must move to establish a judicial review into the chemo bungle. This must never occur again," he said.

Eight clinicians have been referred to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) over the bungle.

AHPRA will report its findings to the Medical Board of Australia, which could take disciplinary action - including suspension or deregistration - if adverse conduct is discovered.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon