You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Nick Kyrgios can be No.1: Nadal

AAP logoAAP 6/12/2016

Nick Kyrgios's 2016 ended with a tour ban but Rafael Nadal believes the 21-year-old Australian can turn it all around and that 2017 will see him continue to rise.

Nick Kyrgios © AAP Image/David Moir Nick Kyrgios Kyrgios's effortless 6-3 6-1 defeat, suffered at the hands of German journeyman Mischa Zverev resulted in an ATP Tour suspension that saw the Australian apologise for his actions.

It was also a 2016 that saw Kyrgios rise to a career-high ranking of No.13 in the world and Nadal says there is more to come for the prodigiously talented Aussie.

"Kyrgios is already at the top. (He is) a player who has an unbelievable potential. He has focus on himself, and can become world No. 1 and win a grand slam," Nadal told News Corp Australia.

Nadal, also feels that if fellow Australian young gun Thanasi Kokkinakis can return to the court and put his injury issues behind him, he too has the game to succeed at the highest level.

"In this new generation you will need to see how Kokkinakis will evolve, he suffered an injury (shoulder) and we don't know how he will come back, but he has the potential to be at the top," Nadal said.

Nadal, 30 ended his 2016 season in October due to a wrist injury he and he is hoping to work his way back to success in 2017, starting in Abu Dhabi on December 29.

"I'm practising (a lot), I am in the middle of the pre-season and at the moment everything is going well," he said.

"I am willing to work and so far I (am managing) to do it."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon