You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

No more children at NT inquiry in 2016

AAP logoAAP 13/12/2016 Lucy Hughes Jones

The Northern Territory's royal commission into child protection and detention says no more vulnerable children will give evidence before the inquiry wraps up for the year.

The inquiry earlier flagged it would hear testimony from at least 12 in the December hearings, but only two have so far given evidence before the final day on Wednesday.

One took the stand anonymously and the other was Dylan Voller, the teen inmate who was notoriously tear gassed, shackled and put in a spit hood in events that sparked the commission.

"The commission must be careful to manage any risks to their safety and welfare when they are giving evidence so they do not suffer further harm," the commission's Official Secretary Kirsty Windeyer said.

"As a result there are challenges in providing full access to information.This has impacted on the commission's ability to settle witness lists and provide access to some statements and evidence."

It comes as Sky News reports an informal request has been made to the federal government to extend the inquiry beyond its March 31 deadline.

That would lead to a budget blowout for the inquiry, which is being jointly funded by the NT and commonwealth governments and is so far estimated to cost $50 million.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon