You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

NSW chemo scandal cases could increase

AAP logoAAP 20/09/2016 Rebekah Ison

Questions remain about how many people may have been given "off- protocol" cancer treatment by specialist Dr John Grygiel, after a NSW government investigation faced difficulties obtaining patient records.

It was announced on Tuesday an extra 28 patients had been identified as having been given flat or "significantly reduced " doses of chemo by Dr Grygiel, in addition to 103 head and neck cancer patients announced six weeks ago.

NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner defended the scope of the report, which was only able to examine the records of 300 patients.

She said it was difficult to get records because Dr Grygiel had been a private doctor and that the investigation would continue if access to Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme records was granted by the commonwealth government.

It was "quite possible" the patient toll could rise by one-third once those records were made available, NSW chief cancer officer David Currow said.

Concerned patients can contact the Cancer Inquiry Line on 6369 8808 or email WNSWLHD-CancerInquiry@health.nsw.gov.au.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon