You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

NSW hospital fined over radioactive waste

AAP logoAAP 19/10/2016

The Sydney hospital where a baby died after being given the wrong gas has been fined over dumping radioactive waste in with its general rubbish.

A cleaner put two radioactive capsules containing Iodine-131, used to treat thyroid cancer patients, in the wrong bin in July, the Environmental Protection Agency said on Wednesday.

It fined Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital $1500 for allowing an untrained staff member to handle radioactive material.

The hospital told AAP the bin was removed and that the level of exposure wasn't dangerous.

It also said it had since changed the way radioactive waste was delivered and stored and given staff additional training.

A baby boy died at the hospital in July when he was accidentally given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen.

Another baby was left with brain damage after the same mix-up in June.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon