You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

NSW police assault footage shown at trial

AAP logoAAP 15/11/2016 Miranda Forster

For almost a minute, 22-year-old Ballina man Corey Barker was held down and allegedly assaulted by four police officers.

CCTV footage shows Mr Barker being thrown to the ground and allegedly being attacked by then Senior Constable David Ryan Hill, Probationary Constable Lee David Walmsley and Constables Ryan Charles Eckersley and Luke Christopher Mewing at Ballina police station on January 14, 2011.

The vision, played at the District Court in Sydney, then shows Mr Barker being dragged along the floor out of the room.

The four officers - and Senior Constable Mark Woolven 45, and Sergeant Robert Campbell McCubben, 49, who were on duty that night - all later claimed in similar statements that the prisoner had thrown at least one punch first.

But the blow wasn't captured on the CCTV footage played to the jury on Tuesday.

The court also heard that Hill's statement about the incident, sworn on January 19, 2011, was emailed to some of the other officers to help them prepare their own statements for the court case against Mr Barker.

Each officer's statement, read to the court, said Mr Barker had been yelling abuse and threats, and punching and kicking the walls of the perspex dock where he was initially held.

The statements were backed by CCTV footage showing Mr Barker beating and kicking out at the walls of the holding dock.

Hill's statement said Mr Barker pulled free while being taken by police to the cells and "punched me with a closed right fist to the nose" in a blow that left no physical injury.

The other officers gave similar accounts of what happened.

Mewing, 30, said Mr Barker struck Hill "in the nose with a right closed fist" and Woolven stated that he saw a punch thrown by Mr Barker "connect with the face of Senior Constable Hill".

Emails from Senior Constable Greg Ryan, who had been involved in arresting Mr Barker, to some of the officers requesting their statements about the incident were tendered in court.

In them, Sen Const Ryan told the officers he'd attached his and Hill's statements "for your reference".

"The matter is going to hearing on the 7th of July and you'll all be required at this stage," he wrote in an April 2011 email to Eckersley, Walmsley, Mewing, Woolven and Hill among others.

"He (Mr Barker) is fighting all charges, as if found guilty he will breach a suspended sentence ... and therefore will be on a bus to Grafton jail."

Hill, 36, Eckersley, 36, Walmsley, 26, and Mewing are charged with assaulting Mr Barker, lying in court, and trying to pervert the course of justice.

Woolven and McCubben are charged with trying to pervert the course of justice.

Defence lawyers say the CCTV footage only captured a third of the incidents at the Ballina station because the cameras were operating on delayed capture mode.

The trial continues.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon