You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

NZ quake response enters new phase

AAP logoAAP 17/11/2016

Power generators, fuel and chemical toilets are on their way to a stranded tourist town in New Zealand, four days after it was rocked by a deadly earthquake.

Road access remains cut off to the South Island's Kaikoura as Civil Defence operations move from response to a recovery.

The town was smashed by the 7.8 quake on Monday, which killed two people and injured dozens more.

More than 800 people have been evacuated from the South Island tourist centre.

On Thursday rain brought down more slips and continuing aftershocks made it too dangerous to use the Inland Kaikoura Road.

Military vehicles had been operating on the major road artery but a 27-truck convoy carrying supplies couldn't get through.

The naval ship HMNZS Canterbury is due back in Kaikoura on Friday with supplies, including power generators, fuel and chemical toilets, says Civil Defence director Sarah Stuart-Black.

On Friday morning she told reporters that while shelter, food and medical requirements were still a priority, the operation was beginning to focus on longer term solutions.

People are being warned to expect big aftershocks and to be wary of waterways on the east coast where landslip dams might burst.

Ms Stuart-Black will visit Kaikoura, Mt Lyford and Waiau on Friday, where she will speak at public meetings.

Ms Stuart-Black said that towards the end of the week people would be increasingly unsettled and upset, which would be amplified by tiredness.

"It's really important to be looking after yourself and your family, but also keeping an eye on loved ones."

There are two helplines for those affected by the quake:

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon