You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Officers fired on during Hobart stand-off

AAP logoAAP 27/11/2016 Andrew Drummond

Tasmanian police have emerged unscathed from a 14-hour standoff in suburban Hobart during which they were allegedly repeatedly fired on by a man.

The 47-year-old was holed up inside a house in Maple Avenue at Moonah overnight on Sunday, before his peaceful surrender about 7.30am on Monday, acting Inspector Andrew Bennett said.

"Several shots were fired by the offender. He aimed his firearm at police and fired in their direction on numerous occasions," the senior officer said.

Although officers lives were put "quite significantly" at risk, none were injured.

"All the officers are in good spirits and we will obviously follow up and make sure their welfare is paramount," Insp Bennett said.

"Anything involving an unregistered firearm to an unregistered user, just pointing it in any direction and firing at will could lead to catastrophic injury, not just to police but anyone in the nearby area."

Riot police were called to the address and as the armoured vehicle approached, it was struck repeatedly with bullets, within 20 metres of officers nearby, he added.

Up to 15 neighbouring houses were evacuated during the incident, which started after police responded to a report of a dog attack.

"A male had been there beforehand and the man involved, his dog had bitten a gentleman," Insp Bennett said.

After his surrender, the man was arrested and referred for medical assessment with police citing "concerns for his wellbeing".

Investigations into the barricade are continuing but Insp Bennett suggested charges of aggravated assault would likely follow.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon