You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Old children's hospital plans unveiled

AAP logoAAP 14/08/2016 By Alexandra Patrikios

Burns and stroke victims, students and the elderly will be among those to benefit from a $1.1 billion development on the site of an old children's hospital, the Queensland government says.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk unveiled health and financial services company Australian Unity as the preferred tenderer to develop the former children's hospital site at Herston, alongside Health Minister Cameron Dick on Sunday.

A new Specialist Rehabilitation and Ambulatory Care centre would provide 132 beds for patients including burns and stroke victims, Mr Dick said.

There are also plans for aged care, retirement living and student accommodation.

The premier acknowledged she had been critical of previous plans for the site under the former government but said these concerns had been soothed by provisions for a range of services.

"There will be over 700 construction jobs happening here on this site, with those first jobs commencing next year," she added.

But the opposition's Jarrod Bleijie said the announcement was simply a case of the Labor government handing in "LNP homework", claiming the plans were "essentially" the same.

"They just seem incapable of making decisions for themselves," he said.

Works are expected to start in 2017, with the redevelopment scheduled to continue in stages over the next decade.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon