You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

One Nation Senator attacks WA courts

AAP logoAAP 6/10/2016

One Nation Senator Rod Culleton has attacked the judiciary in a rambling press release after his latest court loss, demanding the civil matter be heard by a jury.

On Wednesday, he again failed in his bid to challenge a three-year-old court judgment ordering him to pay $205,000 in damages to former Wesfarmers director Dick Lester, this time in the Federal Court following last year's Supreme Court loss.

With interest, the figure has now ballooned to $280,000.

In dismissing the "unusual" matter, Justice Neil McKerracher described Senator Culleton's argument as "entirely erroneous" and one that had been rejected in many other cases as unarguable or completely lacking in merit.

The newly sworn-in politician had argued on constitutional grounds - that Supreme and District court judgments in WA since 2005 should be deemed invalid because judges had ceased swearing allegiance to the Queen.

Despite the loss, he insisted in a press statement "there is still an opening", adding he was seeking constitutional legal advice.

He also says he's continuing to fight Mr Lester with a return to the Supreme Court and demands a jury.

"It is my constitutional right to have a jury - I'm sick of all the performances that happen by single judges in the courts - it's a raffle and a roulette wheel for the rich," he said.

"I don't want to run the risk of being judged by a potential non-One Nation supporter which could fall under the term of being bias."

He also vowed to raise the validity of the Family Court in the Senate, saying that if it is not operating under the constitution, he will "call for a moratorium until full compliance is achieved".

Meanwhile, Mr Lester plans to file a creditor's petition soon, which Senator Culleton described in court on Wednesday as "a commercially life-changing event" as it leaves him facing the threat of bankruptcy.

While 2015 court documents show he was bankrupt at least once, he told the Federal Court: "I have never been a bankrupt".

The 52-year-old former farmer also faces a stealing charge in WA relating to a $27,000 hire car.

Another creditor, former associate Bruce Bell, has petitioned the High Court to disqualify Senator Culleton from parliament, arguing he was ineligible to nominate because of a NSW larceny conviction over a key he took from a tow truck driver trying to repossess a lease car.

That has since been annulled, but the matter is due to return to an Armidale court this month.

The constitution bans people from being federal MPs if they are awaiting or serving sentences of 12 months' jail or more - which applies to both of Senator Culleton's charges.

Mr Bell also alleges Senator Culleton was ineligible to nominate because he was bankrupt.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon