You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Peru Six in clear over death of doorman

AAP logoAAP 8/10/2016 Julian Drape and Genevieve Gannon

Six Australians who became suspects after a hotel worker in Peru fell to his death in 2012 say they feel "overwhelming relief" after being cleared of involvement.

The former students - dubbed the Peru Six - say a Lima court and senior prosecutor have confirmed they had nothing to do with the death of doorman Lino Rodriguez Vilchez who was found on the footpath outside their hotel.

"The past four and half years have caused immense uncertainty, frustration as well as emotional and financial strain," Hugh Hanlon, Tom Hanlon and Jessica Vo of Melbourne and Sydney trio Sam Smith, Harrison Geier and Andrew Pilat said in a statement on Facebook on Saturday.

"The immeasurable stress has left a dreadful toll on all of us.

"Today, we feel overwhelming relief as we close this chapter of our lives and finally move on."

The six Australians became suspects many months after the doorman was found dead in January 2012.

They insisted they had little contact with Mr Rodriguez before some of them heard a thud outside their hotel window.

Police initially ruled the death a suicide from jumping off a balcony but the man's family launched a campaign to re-open the case and the Australians were subsequently labelled "killers" by local media.

Judges wanted the suspects to travel back to Peru to be questioned but in late 2013 they won the right to give statements from Australia.

The six on Saturday said they were advised by consular officials in early August 2016 that a prosecution wouldn't proceed.

The court notified all parties, including the doorman's family, who were given an opportunity to appeal.

In mid-September the Australians were notified by their lawyers and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade that no appeal had been submitted by the family, the six said on Saturday.

"Having received this advice in writing overnight we are now able to share this important development publicly," they said on their Facebook page Completely Wrongly Accused.

They six have now all completed their studies and are working in their chosen fields.

"We are looking forward to travelling freely and, most importantly, to continue what will always be a lifelong friendship with each other," they said.

The foreign affairs department said it wouldn't comment on the case "for reasons of privacy".

Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon