You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Pokemon Go away: Sydney suburb's victory

AAP logoAAP 2/08/2016 By Sarah McPhee

Pokemon Go players who turned Rhodes to ruin will have to catch 'em all elsewhere after a successful bid from residents to remove three of the game's PokeStops.

Players at Peg Paterson Park in Sydney's west were met with blank screens on Monday after software developer Niantic conceded to the City of Canada Bay Council's removal request.

Hundreds of gamers had flooded into the hotspot day and night since the mobile application was launched in early July, in the hope of catching rare Pokemon lured to the park.

Those living in surrounding apartments documented the aftermath of the crowds on social media including trespassing, littering and illegal parking, with reports some had water bombed the unwelcome visitors.

The council had encouraged residents to lodge their own submissions to Niantic based on the potential for "dangerous" situations including pedestrian accidents, erosion and hindered emergency access.

Resident and father-of-two Sunghoon Choi took to Facebook on Tuesday to welcome the "small win".

"No more zombies at night time here ... maybe kids will finally be the majority during the day now," he said in a post.

Ronan Rafferty, whose Change.org petition for the temporary closure of the park garnered more than 400 signatures, was left in disbelief.

"Could it finally be over? One for the kids!" he said.

Avid players have already earmarked Paul Keating Park in Bankstown as their new go-to site, sitting 12 kilometres south of the former hotspot and housing four PokeStops.

However, Sydneysider Scott Poulton said he hoped the victory at Rhodes had established a precedent that would make the abolition of grouped PokeStops in residential areas easier.

The NSW government last week requested that Niantic remove the PokeStop at Sydney's Anzac Memorial.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon