You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Qld looks at parole reforms after stabbing

AAP logoAAP 2/08/2016 By Jamie McKinnell

Queensland could adopt Victoria's parole system reforms after a shocking stabbing rampage in Townsville.

An 81-year-old woman was killed and two others were injured last week, allegedly at the hands of 32-year-old Anthony O'Keefe who'd been released on parole just before the attack.

The incident has sparked questions about the state's parole processes, drawing parallels to the 2012 case of Jill Meagher.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was briefed by the corrective services commissioner on Monday and said next week cabinet would consider following the Victorian lead with reforms.

"I want to get to the bottom of it," she said on Tuesday.

Commissioner Mark Rallings told Ms Palaszczuk the incident was "one of the, if not the worst case, that Queensland has ever seen".

"There is no way I'm going to stand by and let that get brushed aside," Ms Palaszczuk said.

Ms Meagher, 29, was raped and murdered by Adrian Bayley, who was on parole for previous rapes at the time.

A Victorian coroner has since found the tragedy was preventable.

A "more rigorous, risk averse" approach by that state's Community Correctional Services and the Adult Parole Board would have cancelled Bayley's parole before the murder, the coroner said.

Queensland opposition leader Tim Nicholls said the government needed to make sure prisoners were meeting parole conditions.

"If they are not being met, they should be brought back into the justice system and locked up again," he said.

"I think it's time for the government to act rather than conduct yet another review."

O'Keefe was remanded in custody in the Townsville Magistrates Court when his matter was mentioned on Monday.

He will spend almost two months behind bars before his case is next in court in late October.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon