You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Qld man tries to halt US extradition

AAP logoAAP 28/07/2016 By Alexandra Patrikios

A Queensland man threatened with extradition to the US on fraud-related charges has told a court his "fundamental rights" are being abused.

Baron Matson represented himself at a hearing in the Federal Court in Brisbane on Thursday, where he's trying to halt extradition proceedings against him.

He's facing accusations such as conspiring to commit mail fraud over an investment scheme, which involved horse-racing programs, allegedly run by him and his father Roger from 1997 to at least January 2001.

But he claimed there had been a conspiracy to deliberately delay his arrest, given investigations had been under way since 2000 and raids were conducted by the Australian Federal Police in 2005.

Matson argued the delay was a tactic to "bolster" a weak prosecution case against him in the foreign country.

He told the court the extradition process between the two countries was "straightforward (and) well-established", suggesting the drawn-out nature of his own matter was a "breach of my fundamental rights".

But Mark McKechnie, on behalf of the US, told Justice Darryl Rangiah the warrant had been provided and it was not the court's role to make rulings on other material.

"It's outside the ambit of the extradition for proceedings such as these to make determinations that should be made by the courts in Florida," he said.

Matson's father Roger has also been deemed eligible for extradition but both men remain in Australia.

After the courts, the commonwealth attorney-general or relevant minister is required to rule on whether someone should be surrendered before an extradition can take place.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon