You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Qld rape victim bleeding, bruised: court

AAP logoAAP 29/12/2016 Jamie McKinnell

A Brisbane court has rejected an accused rapist's attempt to prevent graphic details of a "violent, degrading" attack on a young woman from being reported.

Two men, aged 24 and 32, appeared in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday, two days after they were arrested over the April 2011 incident that left the women bleeding and bruised in a Brisbane alleyway.

It's alleged the men, both from Brisbane, attacked the woman, 20, as she was walking along Manning Street, South Brisbane, late at night.

Details of the alleged incident were aired during a bail application by the younger man despite his lawyer's attempts to suppress them.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Matt Kahler told the court the victim suffered "horrible" injuries and blacked out.

"This is a violent rape," he said.

"A very, very violent rape."

The victim, who was a virgin at the time, was unable to submit to a medical examination because of pain and bruising, the court heard.

"It was degrading," Sgt Kahler said.

"She was bleeding all over her legs, all over her arms in the vicinity of South Brisbane at 11.30 at night."

The court heard DNA evidence from the victim's underpants and a cigarette linked the younger defendant to the scene.

Both men, who are known to one another, were also placed in the vicinity by mobile phone signals, Sgt Kahler said.

Initial DNA tests provided an unknown result.

The arrests followed a fresh appeal for public assistance last week and the re-testing of material using modern technologies.

The court heard the 24-year-old had ties to NSW and Sgt Kahler said he presented both a risk of reoffending and failing to appear.

His barrister, Cliff Crawford, suggested those risks could be minimised by conditions, including a surety, regular reporting to police and the surrender of his passport.

Mr Crawford unsuccessfully applied to prohibit the publication of material from the bail application, heard in open court, arguing it could prejudice the case further down the track.

The younger man shook his head, clasped his hands together, and rocked back and forth during the hearing.

Magistrate Robert Walker was not satisfied the proposed bail conditions would mitigate the risk of further offending.

"It's not acceptable to expect the community to bear that risk," he said.

He refused the man bail and remanded him in custody until January 30.

The 32-year-old who was extradited from NSW on Thursday morning did not apply for bail.

He stood quietly in the dock and smiled at three supporters in the public gallery.

His matter was adjourned until January 10 for a bail application.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon