You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Qld shooting accused loses bail bid

AAP logoAAP 19/08/2016 By Nathan Paull

A former Big Brother contestant shot in the leg in a Gold Coast car park last year could have suffered a far worse fate if not for a misfiring gun, a court has heard.

Anthony Soong, 23 - accused of trying to murder the reality TV star Sam Wallace outside a Merrimac restaurant in December last year - was denied bail in the Supreme Court in Brisbane on Friday.

The court heard Soong had allegedly been threatening another man he thought was his ex-girlfriend's new partner and wanted to meet him.

The threats allegedly included a Snapchat image of Soong's ex-girlfriend with a gun pointed at her head.

Wallace had driven the other man to meet Soong at the restaurant.

Soong had allegedly arrived later with his ex-girlfriend and fired four shots at Wallace's car - the fourth of which ripped through his right leg and became embedded in his left.

Justice Martin Burns told the court Soong had then allegedly pointed the gun at the driver's side window and pulled the trigger, but the gun hadn't fired.

"It was then alleged that the applicant (Soong) forcefully struck Wallace three times to his face with the gun," Mr Burns said.

"It is alleged the applicant said: "Take this as a warning, don't go to the cops or your family's f**ked."

Soong's defence lawyer Michael Gatenby argued his client wasn't being treated for mental health issues while in custody and insisted he wouldn't be a flight risk or re-offend if he was released on bail with strict conditions, including a $50,000 surety.

However, prosecutor Lara Soldi opposed bail, saying Soong had a history of re-offending.

Justice Burns agreed with Ms Soldi, having also read allegations about an incident on the same day in which Soong was said to have pointed the gun in his ex-girlfriend's apartment at another woman and at a concerned neighbour who had found themselves caught up in the situation.

Soong's matter will return to Southport Magistrates Court for a committal mention next month.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon