You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Qld sinkhole ordeal close to an end

AAP logoAAP 3/08/2016 By David Sigston

The Queensland couple who lost part of their backyard to a 13-metre sinkhole this week are just relieved their clothesline survived.

Lyn and Ray McKay were forced out of their home at Ipswich, west of Brisbane, on Tuesday but hope to return by the end of Thursday as authorities backfill the hole.

"They've got machines in there now to fill in the hole, so hopefully by the end of the day it will all be fine," Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale told AAP.

The hole was never considered a serious threat to the couple's home but Mrs McKay had been concerned about her Hills Hoist, which was just a few metres from the hole's edge.

Mr Pisasale said the McKays had been overwhelmed by the support of the local community, including from people offering to donate a clothesline.

"I've had dozens of calls from people offering spare Hill Hoists, but thankfully that Australian icon will survive," he said.

The McKays have been put up in a local motel by the Ipswich City Council, and Mines Minister Anthony Lynham confirmed on Wednesday the government would pay the repair costs for the works.

The story has been covered from New York to Germany.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon