You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Qld teen accused of rape refused bail

AAP logoAAP 3/09/2016

An 18-year-old man has faced a Brisbane court accused of raping a woman and later sending her apologetic text messages asking her not to press charges.

The teenager, who can't be named for legal reasons, was refused bail in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Saturday after he was arrested earlier that morning.

He's facing two counts of rape, assault occasioning bodily harm and deprivation of liberty over the incident on Russell Island.

Police allege he raped the woman over a period of 20 minutes and threatened her with violence.

Prosecutor Sergeant Scott Pearson told the court a forensic examination of the teenager's phone uncovered apologetic text messages sent to the woman that asked her not to press charges.

However the teen's lawyer, Alan Phillips, said his client would be contesting the charges and argued bail should be granted with appropriate conditions.

Magistrate John Costello refused to to grant the teen bail, saying he was troubled by the prosecution's objection.

The case will return to court on September 12.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon