You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Russell St bomber in bid for parole

AAP logoAAP 24/10/2016 Melissa Meehan

Russell Street bomber Craig Minogue had applied for parole after spending 30 years in prison.

The 52-year-old violent double-murderer is serving his sentence for the 1986 Russell Street police complex car bomb attack in Melbourne that killed Constable Angela Taylor and injured 21 others.

Minogue also killed inmate Alex Tsakmakis while in custody at Melbourne's Pentridge Prison in 1988.

Tsakmakis was beaten with gym weights hidden in a pillow case.

Minogue's sentence carries a minimum non-parole period of 28 years, making him now eligible for parole.

Corrections Minister Steve Herbert said "the community's expectations are clear on this matter - as are the government's".

"Community safety is the absolute priority for the Adult Parole Board when it considers an application for parole and we fully expect the board to take the community's concerns into consideration," he said in a statement on Monday night.

The state's parole system has been overhauled in recent years making parole decisions the toughest in the country.

Victoria's most serious criminals are now subject to a two-tier assessment process which includes having their parole application ratified by two separate hearings of the Adult Parole Board.

Minogue's Russell Street bombing co-accused Stan Taylor died last week - he had been serving life with no parole.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon