You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Russell Street bomber wants parole

AAP logoAAP 24/10/2016

Victoria's premier has repeatedly told the parole board to keep the community safe ahead of a parole hearing for Russell Street bomber Craig Minogue.

The 52-year-old is in jail for the 1986 Russell Street police complex car bomb in Melbourne that killed Constable Angela Taylor and injured 21 others.

He also killed inmate Alex Tsakmakis, who was beaten with gym weights hidden in a pillow case while in custody at Pentridge Prison in 1988.

Minogue's sentence for the Russell Street attack carried a minimum non-parole period of 28 years, making him now eligible for parole.

When asked about Minogue's application, Premier Daniel Andrews repeatedly told parliament the Adult Parole Board has clear priorities.

"The obligations of the parole board are perhaps a little bit clearer than they were five years ago, or even 10 years ago," Mr Andrews said on Tuesday.

"Keeping the community safe is the No.1 issue."

The previous Victorian government introduced special legislation to rule out mass murderer Julian Knight being given parole until he was too frail to harm anyone else.

Mr Andrews said he was prepared to consider all options, but put his faith in the Adult Parole Board to keep Victorians safe.

The opposition says it wouldn't do that.

"Unlike Daniel Andrews' equivocation, a Liberal Nationals government would pass legislation to ensure Craig Minogue is never released back into the community," a statement from Opposition Leader Matthew Guys says.

Minogue's Russell Street bombing co-accused Stan Taylor, who had been serving life without parole, died last week.

Victoria's most serious criminals are at present subject to a two-tier assessment process that includes having their parole application ratified by two separate hearings of the Adult Parole Board.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon