You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

SA cop has trespass charge downgraded

AAP logoAAP 8/11/2016

A senior South Australian policeman who allegedly invaded his ex-wife's home before threatening to blow up his own unit, causing a police siege, has had a serious trespass charge downgraded.

Chief Inspector Ashley Francis Gordon, 54, was charged with aggravated serious criminal trespass and other offences over the incident, which his lawyer says occurred during a meltdown over the end of his marriage.

But on Tuesday, prosecutors submitted new information to the Adelaide Magistrates Court that downgraded the trespass charge to unlawfully being on premises, which carries a much lighter maximum sentence.

Gordon is accused of stalking his ex-wife and faces several charges over the three-hour police siege in August during which he allegedly threatened to shoot police, kill himself and blow up his Blackwood home in Adelaide.

The court previously heard the case centres on the breakdown of Gordon's marriage and his ensuing mental health issues.

His defence counsel has said the officer's state of mind has improved after spending time in a mental health facility and starting on medication.

Gordon, who was released from prison on home detention bail with strict conditions in September, also sought to vary these bail conditions when he appeared in court on Tuesday.

His ex-wife supported his release on bail, which came with 22 conditions, including restrictions on contact with his children.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon