You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Scott pushing for another Wanderers start

AAP logoAAP 14/12/2016 Emma Kemp

Youngster Lachlan Scott is pushing hard for inclusion in Western Sydney's squad to face Wellington as speculation over the future of fellow striker Kerem Bulut heightens.

Bulut was left out of the Wanderers' A-League match-day squad yet again for last weekend's 3-0 loss to Melbourne Victory - the second successive game and fourth this season he's been dropped.

Coach Tony Popovic rebuffed questions about the situation, refusing to discuss the controversial 24-year-old despite his side's stalled results.

The Wanderers are sixth with two wins from 10 games and need three points against the Phoenix in Auckland on Saturday to ensure they don't slip further.

While their midfield is clicking, the squad's front-third and defensive problems have shown no signs of abating.

There's also roster uncertainty between the posts, with out-of-favour goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne linked with a move to Sydney FC in a swap deal for No.2 Sky Blues gloveman Vedran Janjetovic.

Back-up keeper Jerrad Tyson is expected to start against the Phoenix on return from suspension after Redmayne made another mistake against Victory.

Yet Bulut's situation has opened the door for Scott earlier than expected, with Popovic favouring the 19-year-old and his mentor, veteran Brendon Santalab.

Since being elevated to the senior squad in the off-season, Scott has played four out of 10 matches including a start in this month's 4-1 drubbing of Central Coast.

The club is impressed with his physicality and fearlessness, and Scott is throwing himself into training with an eye to face Wellington, the team against whom he netted an FFA Cup goal double in August.

He knows that's partly dependent on whether Popovic recruits a striker in January but says nothing will halt his drive to improve after signing a two-year contract extension last month.

"I didn't think I'd get this many games at the start of the year, but that's the way things have gone so I'll keep putting in an effort and hopefully keep getting selected," Scott told AAP.

"But if Kerem was to come back in, and I was to go out, nothing would change.

"I'd still be training 100 per cent because I know if I have a good week training I'll be back in - that's the way it is with Popa."

Santalab, who uncharacteristically missed a series of chances against Victory, didn't finish Tuesday's training session as he manages a calf injury, but the club is confident he'll be fit to play.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon