You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Secret search for Matthew Leveson remains

AAP logoAAP 11/01/2017 Dan McCulloch

A secret search for the remains of missing man Matthew Leveson in dense bushland south of Sydney has failed to unearth any trace of the 20-year-old who disappeared 10 years ago.

Homicide squad detectives launched a renewed bid to find Mr Leveson's remains in the Royal National Park on Monday, almost two months after a large-scale search was called off in mid-November.

"At this time, Mr Leveson's remains have not been located. Inquiries are continuing and further searches in the vicinity are expected," a NSW Police spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

"As Mr Leveson's disappearance is the subject of an ongoing coronial inquest, no further comment is available at this time."

Mr Leveson's family said they were informed of the search plans in December but were required to stay silent until it was over.

"It was in a very dangerous part of the road with very little parking. It is located around 600 metres down the hill past the crime scene and on the other side of the road," the family posted on Facebook.

"It's pretty obvious now as the park has been 'moonscaped' again.

"It was a smaller area and much easier to dig (with a mattock or backhoe), that's why it was so quick."

Investigators were originally led to the remote roadside site by Mr Leveson's former boyfriend, Michael Atkins, who was acquitted of the younger man's murder in 2009.

He took detectives to the potential burial site after he was offered immunity from prosecution for perjury and contempt of court after admitting to lying at an inquest into the suspected murder.

Atkins struck the immunity deal with NSW Attorney-General Gabrielle Upton in November in exchange for leading police to Mr Leveson's body.

A spokesman for Ms Upton's office told AAP on Wednesday that the deal still stands.

"No body, no immunity deal on the perjury charges," the spokesman said.

"Now the matter remains for the police and coroner."

It's understood Ms Upton has yet to speak to parents Mark and Faye Leveson following Monday's search.

Atkins is expected to continue giving evidence when an inquest into Mr Leveson's death resumes on March 6.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon