You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Starc and I to take new ball: Hazlewood

AAP logoAAP 21/11/2016 Rob Forsaith

Josh Hazlewood doesn't expect his new-ball partnership with Mitchell Starc to be broken up as Australia attempt to snap a five-Test losing streak.

Australia's attack has been rejigged after all five of the defeats, three of which came in August against Sri Lanka and two more recently at home against South Africa.

Hazlewood and Starc, identified by coach Darren Lehmann as two of four automatic selections following a horrible loss in Hobart, have been the mainstays throughout the slump.

Peter Siddle was their back-up man at the WACA earlier this month but the veteran suffered a back injury in the first Test against the Proteas.

Joe Mennie then debuted in Siddle's absence, only to be axed after failing to make an impact at Bellerive.

Now it will be either would-be debutant Chadd Sayers or Jackson Bird drafted into the XI at the expense of Mennie.

There have been home-town calls for swing specialist Sayers to take the new ball at Adelaide Oval, where the third Test starts on Thursday.

But Hazlewood expects whoever wins the selection showdown between Sayers and Bird will be performing the role of first-change paceman.

"I think it will stay the same but there could be an early introduction for the third seamer, whoever plays," Hazlewood said.

"It's up to us (Starc and Hazlewood) to make him feel as welcome as possible and comfortable in the role he's doing and make that transition as seamless as we possibly can.

"Everyone knows their role I guess and we're all a little bit different in the way we go about things. It's a good group and hopefully we get to take 20 wickets this game."

Hazlewood and Starc, who unlike Australia's battling batsmen enjoyed some time off last week instead of a Sheffield Shield tune-up last week, bowled with great pace in the nets on Monday.

Meanwhile, Mathew Wade may carry the reputation of a serial sledger but the recalled wicketkeeper insists he won't go looking for trouble against the Proteas.

Wade was fined for contrary conduct during a recent ODI between the two sides, when he was involved in a physical clash with South Africa spinner Tabraiz Shamsi.

"I don't go into any game looking to really get into anyone's head," Wade said.

"I just go out and play the way that I play. I'm competitive. I like the contest. If an opportunity comes where I feel like I can contribute in that way to get benefit for the team then I will.

"I certainly don't go out looking to target people, it just develops out on the ground."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon