You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Supercars locks in Sandown to 2019

AAP logoAAP 16/09/2016 Ben McKay

There are still doubts over the sport's long term tenure but Supercars will continue to race at Sandown for at least three more years.

On Saturday, Supercars chief executive James Warburton announced a deal to continue to race at the Home of Horsepower until 2019.

The Melbourne circuit has hosted racing since 1964, and has become the traditional lead-in event to the Bathurst 1000.

Warburton said he was delighted to announce the deal prior to the 2016 edition of the 500km classic on Sunday.

"This is one of the most historic events on our calendar and we are delighted to extend our partnership with Sandown," Warburton said before pointing out the event's popularity.

"Last year we had more than 61,000 people attend and an average television audience of nearly one million viewers."

The longer-term prognosis for the event is not so sure.

Melbourne Racing Club, which owns the combined horse and motorsports venue, are reportedly considering selling the venue for a lucrative housing complex.

Warburton told Fairfax Media this month he was a "realist in terms of what the long-term plans are" at the track, but until 2019 at least, Supercars will race at the time-honoured circuit.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon