You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Syd FC on point with Bobo, Holosko reunion

AAP logoAAP 21/09/2016 Emma Kemp

Sydney FC may have found the double act that will deliver them the goals they crave this A-League season.

The Sky Blues have already started to reap the rewards of a shrewd piece of recruitment that has reunited Brazilian striker Bobo with his former Besiktas teammate Filip Holosko.

The two marquees - the Turkish giants' respective first and second all-time leading goalscorers - picked up right where they left off five years ago in Wednesday night's FFA Cup quarter-final win.

In the first of three goals, new recruit Bobo - in his starting debut - swooped on a cheap giveaway and rifled the ball to the back post where Holosko volleyed succinctly home.

The pair continued to work in cohesively alongside David Carney and Milos Ninkovic, in a promising preview of what Sydney's new-look attack might offer in the A-League.

"You can see the combination with Bobo and Filip from their Besiktas days," Arnold said.

"They know each other's game.

"The type of player he is, he needs service.

"He makes good forward runs, it's just a matter of us seeing them."

It was a seamless fit for Holosko, who spent seven years on Besiktas' books before signing with Sydney.

Three of those seasons were alongside with Bobo from 2008-11 when the Brazilian netted nearly 100 goals in 222 games.

The Slovak winger is looking fitter and stronger than last season, and Arnold said it was simply a case of becoming accustomed to a new country with harder surfaces.

"There was on and off criticism last year of Filip but he still scored 10 goals and made four assists as a right winger," he said.

"When you look at the stats he was quite productive.

"You can see he's much fitter now. He's stronger and more determined, as the rest of the boys are."

Arnold was delighted with the way Sydney were progressing less than three weeks out from their opening A-League blockbuster against Western Sydney, who were hammered 4-1 by Melbourne City in Wednesday night's other quarter-final.

"There's no excuses this year," Arnold said.

"We're playing a different style of football, we've been working hard on pressing higher up the field, being more energetic in midfield and when we get the ball making more forward runs.

"We've got some top-quality players in the front half of the field and we have to use them."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon