You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Syrian conflict supporter to be sentenced

AAP logoAAP 6/12/2016

A Melbourne man will be sentenced for funding a US citizen's travel to fight in Syria and supporting him while he was there.

Hassan El Sabsabi, of Seabrook, has pleaded guilty to two charges of preparing for incursions into foreign states for the purposes of engaging in hostile activities.

El Sabsabi said he was not able to fight with his body "so in (SIC) going to do my best to fight with my wealth", a transcript tendered in the Victorian Supreme Court shows.

Between June 2013 and September 2014 he sent almost $16,000 to Abedallah Karram in 11 transactions after the two met online in 2012, the Victorian Supreme Court has previously heard.

Karram asked El Sabsabi for money after the Melbourne man told him he wanted to "do jihad" in 2013, court documents show.

Karram travelled to Syria on August 13, 2013 and the following month used Facebook to publish a photo of himself kneeling next to a mutilated corpse.

Defence barrister Stewart Bayles has argued El Sabsabi was neither an extremist nor anti-western and that his behaviour had to be viewed in the context of the situation in Syria at the time.

El Sabsabi was opposed to the regime of Bashar El Assad in Syria, which Mr Bayles said had been widely condemned in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

El Sabsabi is currently on bail.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon