You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Vanity Fair thrives after Trump tweet

AAP logoAAP 17/12/2016 Helen Livingstone

Vanity Fair magazine has reportedly seen its subscriptions soar following a tweet by US president-elect Donald Trump suggesting the magazine was "dead" and its editor had "no talent."

The tweet appeared to be a response to a negative review of a Trump restaurant published by the magazine on Wednesday titled "Trump Grill could be the worst restaurant in America."

"Has anyone looked at the really poor numbers of @VanityFair Magazine. Way down, big trouble, dead! Graydon Carter, no talent, will be out!" Trump tweeted early on Thursday.

A spokesperson for publisher Conde Nast on Friday said Vanity Fair subscriptions had increased "100-fold" following the tweet.

"This was the highest number of subscriptions sold in a single day ever at Conde Nast," they said, adding that the review had received 1 million unique views since the tweet.

A banner on its website now reads, "The magazine Trump doesn't want you to read. Subscribe now!"

Carter has previously written of his 25-year-long feud with Trump, which began when he started referring to him as a "short-fingered vulgarian" in Spy magazine.

In a November 2015 article, he wrote that Trump was so offended he still sent him photos of himself.

"On all of them he has circled his hand in gold Sharpie in a valiant effort to highlight the length of his fingers," Carter said.

The magazine is not the only media outlet to have benefited from Trump's rage. The New York Times said its subscriptions also boomed after the election, when Trump relaunched his Twitter attacks on the paper.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon