You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Vic bail bid over 'tinnie terror' plot

AAP logoAAP 18/09/2016 Caitlin Guilfoyle

Police fear one of six men charged over an alleged plot to leave Australia by boat to support Islamic State would become violent if granted bail.

Acting Sergeant Adam Foley says Melbourne man, Murat Kaya, could pose a risk to the community if he's released, particularly because he's been unable to travel overseas to join the terror group.

"The next course of action for him to adopt is an act of politically motivated violence within his own community," the investigator told the Melbourne Magistrates' Court when opposing Kaya's bail bid on Monday.

Kaya was arrested at his Plumpton home on May 27, a few weeks after five other men were arrested near Cairns.

Police allege those men - Paul Dacre, Musa Cerantonio, Shayden Thorne, Kadir Kaya, and Antonio Granata - were on their way to join the terrorist group's growing faction in southern Philippines.

The group were allegedly towing a fishing boat to Cape York in far north Queensland.

Kaya is accused of helping buy the boat from a seller in Bendigo.

All six men are charged with making preparations for incursions into foreign countries to engage in hostile activities.

The AFP alleges the group's plot began taking shape in February, when Dacre and Kaya drove to Darwin to inspect a 25-metre former naval vessel.

The men left Victoria with $50,000 cash, but did not purchase the boat as planned because they were unhappy with its condition, police say.

Kaya, a tiler who runs his own business, stayed in Victoria while the five men drove north in May.

The men travelled 3000km in almost 88 hours, with their vehicle experiencing several breakdowns en route to far north Queensland.

After they were arrested on May 10, investigators seized survival equipment from their boat and vehicle, as well as $3200 in cash, US and Filipino currency, maps of Southeast Asia and the Philippines.

An Australian flag, a European Union flag and Indonesian flag were also seized.

Kaya did not try to leave Melbourne before his arrest, despite the earlier arrests of his co-accused and police previously attending at his property, the court heard.

Under pressure from Kaya's barrister - George Georgiou SC - Sgt Foley conceded there was no evidence Kaya had taken a pledge to IS.

The accused man will return to court on Tuesday as his bail application continues.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon