You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Vic duo sentenced over fatal home invasion

AAP logoAAP 7/12/2016 Melissa Iaria

Two Melbourne men sentenced to jail over a fatal home invasion in which the victim was ambushed in his bed and stabbed 21 times could be released almost immediately.

Butchers Andrew David Lacey and Edward Charles Hewett, both 23, joined their former meatworks supervisor, Daniel Nathan Parry, in the latter's bid for revenge against Garry Coulson who he believed had stolen from him.

The trio invaded Mr Coulson's Werribee home in July last year before Parry confronted the 30-year-old while he was in bed with his girlfriend and bashed him with a baseball bat.

Parry then repeatedly stabbed Mr Coulson while Lacey and Hewitt looked on.

Supreme Court Justice Christopher Beale on Thursday said the duo went along with the older man knowing he was armed and intended to hurt Mr Coulson.

"He was the leader and you were his followers," Justice Beale said.

But the judge found neither Lacey nor Hewitt criminally responsible for Parry's actions with the knife, which belonged to Coulson who carried it for self-defence.

Parry, 37, was last month jailed for 19 years for murder but the same charge against the two younger men was dropped. Both later pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary and intentionally causing injury.

Justice Beale took into account their relative youth and gave "significant consideration" to the fact both men served most of their time in pre-sentence custody on remand for the murder charges before they were dropped.

He jailed both for 18 months with a minimum term of 12 months.

As both men have already spent 415 days in pre-sentence custody they are immediately eligible for parole.

Lacey and Hewett must also complete an 18-month community corrections order with 150 hours of community work and drug and mental health treatment.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon