You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Vic fatal burglary duo fight to avoid jail

AAP logoAAP 29/11/2016 Melissa Iaria

Two accomplices to a Victorian home invasion where a man was ambushed in his bed, bashed and stabbed to death, should be spared a jail sentence, their defence claims.

Andrew David Lacey and Edward Charles Hewett, both 23, went along to the robbery in which Garry Coulson was assaulted with a baseball bat and stabbed 21 times.

The young butchers joined their former supervisor Daniel Nathan Parry, who attacked the 30-year-old Mr Coulson in the invasion at his Werribee home last year, believing he had stolen from him.

The 37-year-old Parry got 19 years jail for murder earlier this month, but a murder charge against the two young men was dropped.

On Tuesday, Lacey and Hewett each pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary and intentionally causing injury.

Their barristers told the Victorian Supreme Court each had spent 405 days in custody while on remand and should not be sentenced to more jail.

Hewett's barrister David Hallowes SC said his client was immature, easily led and had gone into the home unarmed.

He described Hewett as an outcast at school who had been stood over in jail.

"He has done a significant period of time already in jail," Mr Hallowes told Justice Christopher Beale.

Lacey's barrister Tim Marsh said he went along to the robbery, believing it would involve a "punch-on".

He said his client's role was minor and he understood he had to "keep the peace" by keeping Mr Coulson's girlfriend quiet while Parry confronted Mr Coulson.

Lacey, who was on a community corrections order at the time, "should have known better" than to get involved but his life was unravelling at the time from a series of bad decisions, Mr Marsh said.

However, the prosecution argued the trio agreed to go to Mr Coulson's house to injure him.

The case was adjourned to December 8.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon