You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Vic footpath death not suspicious: police

AAP logoAAP 28/11/2016 Julian Drape and Luke Costin

The death of a great-grandfather outside his Melbourne home is not being treated as suspicious despite his family's fears it was linked to a decades-long dispute with a neighbour.

Police say they are preparing a report for the coroner following an autopsy and are not treating the death of Michael Di Berardino, 83, as suspicious.

He had been found by his wife on a Reservoir footpath on Monday, after which police interviewed and released a 90-year-old neighbour without charge.

Mr Di Berardino's widow, Gemma, said she didn't hear or see anything before discovering her husband's body on Joffre Street about 1pm.

"I don't feel safe ... the police must do something," she told Melbourne radio 3AW on Tuesday.

Relatives say Mr Berardino had been feuding with a neighbour for nearly 50 years - most recently about the dead man's roses.

Another neighbour told reporters the two elderly men had argued over plants including the roses.

"Devastated, absolutely devastated, the whole family is devastated over this - it shouldn't have gone this far," son Angelo Di Berardino told reporters outside the home.

"We all loved him," daughter Antoniette Di Berardino said.

The Nine Network reports numerous restraining orders had been taken out against the 90-year-old neighbour over a number of years.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon