You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Vic man's drunken driving killed two women

AAP logoAAP 10/11/2016 Caitlin Guilfoyle

A Melbourne motorist who turned to drugs and alcohol after killing a pedestrian almost a decade ago has been jailed for causing a second fatality while drunk.

Allan Scott McDevitt was unlicensed, in a stolen car and speeding on the wrong side of the road when he killed 74-year-old Concetta Guzzo in 2015.

He'd caused the death of 53-year-old Hassiba Diab in 2007 after losing control of his car while trying to get around two council vehicles blocking his path.

His car mounted the footpath and struck Ms Diab as she walked home with her shopping.

McDevitt returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.08 per cent after that first crash.

He was sentenced to seven years and nine months jail on Thursday for causing Ms Guzzo's death.

"Your offending has had a devastating impact on the victim's family," County Court Judge Paul Grant said as jailed the 31-year-old.

McDevitt ploughed into a station wagon in which Enzo Bassam was sitting with the impact causing the vehicle to hit Mr Bassam's partner, Ms Guzzo, who was standing next to it.

The force flung Ms Guzzo 4.5 metres from where she'd been standing. She suffered multiple skull fractures and bleeding on the brain.

The 74-year-old never regained consciousness and died in hospital three weeks later.

McDevitt left the area after the grandmother was struck before returning and admitting his involvement to neighbours and authorities at the scene.

He had been doing burnouts in a car he stole after its owner left it, momentarily, with the engine running on a nearby street.

McDevitt's blood alcohol reading was 0.109 per cent.

The court heard McDevitt had a long-running problem with alcohol and drugs that was linked to mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder and severe depression.

But his substance abuse increased dramatically when he began self-medicating after the 2007 fatality.

Judge Grant said McDevitt should have known the dangers of his drunken, reckless driving last year, given what had happened in the past.

"You proceeded nonetheless," he said.

McDevitt, who pleaded guilty to culpable driving causing death, theft and unlicensed driving, has been disqualified from driving for six years and must serve at least five years and three months jail before he is eligible for parole.

He's already served 473 days in pre-sentence custody.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon