You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Vic seeks historical child assault victims

AAP logoAAP 1/11/2016 Melissa Meehan

Child sex abuse detectives have interviewed two people over historical sexual assaults in northeast Victoria during the 1960s and are encouraging victims to come forward.

Police want to speak to anyone with information about the alleged sexual assaults of boys aged between 12 and 14 at Myrtleford and Inglewood high schools or scouts groups.

Detective Senior Constable Romina McEwan says police first became aware of the assaults when a victim came forward in January.

Subsequent investigations identified a number of other victims.

"Every report is taken seriously," Det Sen Const McEwan told AAP on Wednesday.

"They will be believed in the first instance and we ask them to come forward if they've seen or heard anything or been a victim themselves."

The detective said two people had been interviewed and released over the matter pending further inquiries.

The victims would now be aged in their mid to late 60s, she said.

Det Sen Const McEwan denied reports police were investigating a so-called pedophile ring in the area linked to the assaults.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon