You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Victorians praised for NYE behaviour

AAP logoAAP 1/01/2017 Helen Velissaris

Undeterred by a recent foiled terror plot, almost half a million people packed Melbourne's CBD to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks.

More than 450,000 people decided to ring in the new year in the city, with more than 13.5 tonnes of fireworks being lit off 22 city rooftops.

Alongside revellers, a large police presence was felt, especially near St Paul's Cathedral and Flinders Street, which were named as targets in a suspected Christmas terror plot.

Along with additional police, more targeted road blocks were in place to stop vehicles from ploughing into crowds.

Police made 183 arrests across Victoria during New Year's Eve, most of which were for drunken behaviour.

The number of arrests was higher than last year by more than 57 arrests, but Assistant Commissioner Andrew Crisp said the vast majority of people were well behaved.

"I guess a few people (will have) sore heads this morning but they can live with that," he told reporters on Sunday.

Police are also investigating low level robberies, with phones and personal items reported stolen, some snatched directly out of the hands of victims.

Two men died in fireworks accidents during New Year's celebrations in NSW and Victoria.

"We're into summer now, we know there will be more people with illegal fireworks in the lead up to Australia Day," Mr Crisp said.

"Fireworks are explosives, they're dangerous and as we saw last night, they kill."

People can be fined thousands of dollars and jailed up to 15 years for using and possessing fireworks.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon