You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Voges backs Mennie's call up

AAP logoAAP 29/10/2016

Adam Voges has defended Joe Mennie's surprise Australian squad selection for next week's opening Test, calling him a WACA specialist.

The national selection panel raised eyebrows with the South Australian right-armer's inclusion in the 12-man squad for the first Test of the summer against South Africa starting next Thursday in Perth.

Selection chairman Rod Marsh explained that it was Jackson Bird's poor record with the bat that led to Mennie getting the nod, a notion that was roundly criticised.

The 27-year-old finished last season's Sheffield Shield as the leading wicket taker and earned his first national call up on the ODI tour of South Africa earlier in the year however his possible Test debut has come out of left field for some.

"People have called it a shock selection but people who watch domestic cricket quite closely know that Joe was the leading wicket-taker last year," Voges said.

"He always bowls extremely well against us, particularly here at the WACA.

"So from my point of view I don't think it was a shock selection, I think he's earnt his spot in the 12."

Mennie took some stick in his ODI debut, going for 0-82, however he rebounded with 3-56 and 0-66 in the Redbacks' Shield clash at the WACA this week.

Sticking out in Voges' memory is Mennie's man-of-the-match effort in South Australia's one-wicket over West Australia at the WACA in March earlier this year.

Mennie claimed 4-58 and 3-47.

"He bustles in, he runs in hard, he's at you every ball, he doesn't give you much," Voges said.

"And he's a pretty good all-round package. His record, particularly at the WACA is very impressive and I've had a few troubling spells against him over the last couple of seasons."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon