You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Webster faces uncertain Breakers future

AAP logoAAP 30/11/2016

The New Zealand Breakers have suspended guard Corey Webster after he was charged with assault following an early morning incident at an Auckland bar on Wednesday.

The NBL club said the 28-year-old would miss Friday's game against the Illawarra Hawks after breaching team and club values.

General manager Dillon Boucher said Webster would vigorously defend himself against the charge and the club would let the court process run its course.

But he said Webster did not have team interests at heart by being out after midnight when recovering from last weekend's road trip to Cairns and preparing for Friday's home match.

"Corey has also breached our values in the way in which he has communicated with the club about the incident," said Boucher.

"In our view Corey has let himself, his teammates and the club down in the way in which he has handled the situation."

Boucher said the club would continue to support the New Zealand international and would assist the police and the courts.

Webster has been bailed and is expected to appear in court on Monday.

Webster's arrest comes five years after he was sacked by the club for using synthetic cannabis.

He served a one-year ban from the sport in 2011 after testing positive for the drug and it followed him testing positive for cannabis while playing for the Harbour Heat in the domestic competition.

He was re-signed by the Breakers in 2012 on a three-year deal and last year signed another three-year deal with the four-time NBL champions.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon