You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Only one case of EJK under Duterte admin —PNP

GMA News Online logo GMA News Online 10/6/2017 Kaufman, Karl
Photo: Amita Legaspi © Provided by GMA News Online Photo: Amita Legaspi

As far as the Philippine National Police (PNP) is concerned, there is only one case of extrajudicial killing (EJK) under the Duterte administration so far.

Despite claims by critics that the war on drugs has resulted in a spate of EJKs, PNP spokesperson Chief Superintendent Dionardo Carlos said they only consider the killing of Catanduanes-based journalist Larry Que in December last year as the "only one case" of EJK.

"The PNP protects every individual's right to life. To allay/remove their fear of becoming victims of EJK, let it be known that under the present administration, there is only one case of extra-judicial killing or EJK for the period July 1, 2016 to September 30, 2017," Carlos said in a statement Friday.

He was reacting to the result of a recent Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey stating that 73 percent of Filipinos are worried that they or someone they know will fall victim to extrajudicial killings amid the PNP's war on drugs or Oplan Tokhang.

"The possibility of them becoming victim of EJK is very remote, if we based it on facts and not on impression/perception," Carlos said.

The SWS survey showed the percentage of Filipinos who are worried that they or someone they know will become victims of extrajudicial killings is the same as the 73 percent who indicated the same in March 2017. 

However, more said they are "very worried" —37 percent in March and 41 in June.

Carlos assured the public that the PNP will continue to exert its best effort to improve peace and order, with less crime incidents that may victimize the people.

On the result of the survey stating that 90 percent of Filipinos believe it is important that drug suspects be captured alive, Carlos said the PNP "is one with the Filipino people who wants drug suspects be captured alive."

"In the focused campaign against illegal drugs from July 1, 2016 to September 30, 2017, the PNP conducted 71,393 anti-drug operations that resulted to the arrest of 109,090 drug offenders who are alive and facing criminal charges in courts," he added.

He added under Oplan Tokhang, 8,794,120 house visitations nationwide were conducted which resulted to the surrender of 1,260,196 drug suspects.

He said the surrenderers were accorded the opportunity to change and assistance were extended to them.

"This actions proved that the PNP values the right to life of these unfortunate victims of illegal drugs," Carlos said.

He said the drug suspects who surrendered and arrested alive comprise the approximate 99.98 percent results of the PNP campaign against illegal drugs. —KBK, GMA News

More From GMA News Online

GMA News Online
GMA News Online
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon