You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Man who filmed rape at Downtown East chalet gets jail and $20,800 fine

The Independent logo The Independent 15/8/2019 Shech
a close up of a hand holding a cellphone © The Independent Singapore

Warning: Readers may find some of the detailed descriptions in the content of this article disturbing.

Singapore — A Malaysian club cashier who filmed the rape of an unconscious woman at Downtown East got a one year and three months jail sentence along with a S$20,800 fine.

Gan Soon Chai (34), a cashier at Club V5 Tycoon at Cuscaden Road, pleaded guilty to three charges for making a lewd film, owning 65 obscene films, and having eight films with no valid certificates.

He recorded a video of the unconscious and unresponsive woman (24) being raped by his colleague, Tay Boon Huat (27).

The crime occurred on Sept 17, 2018 at a room in D’Resort@Downtown East.

Tay reportedly reserved the chalet for two days so he and his friends—including Gan, Yap Chun Chieh (39) and Yong Choon Hong (30)—can “enjoy themselves.”

Riding a car on the way to the chalet, the men appeared to be molesting an already unconscious woman identified as a club patron.

Tay, seated in front of the car, pulled down the victim’s clothing and fondled her breasts according to a report by Channel News Asia.

Upon arriving at the chalet, Tay raped the woman and forced her to perform oral sex on him.

Gan began recording the assault without telling his companions.

Tay noticed what Gan was doing and shouted at him to stop. He then took the woman to the bathroom while Gan showed the recording to another man.

Tay unsuccessfully tried to delete the video from Gan’s Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Cleaning up the mess, he dressed up the victim and called a taxi to take her home.

The victim filed a police report thereafter.

During the court hearing on Tuesday (Aug 13), Deputy Public Prosecutor Lee Zu Zhao said that “Not only did [Gan] not persuade his colleagues and friends to stop, he filmed the acts.”

Gan was arrested on Sept 26, 2018. If he cannot pay the S$20,800 fine, he faces an additional three months and four days in jail for his crimes.

Cases for the three other suspects are still pending./TISG

More on MSN News:

The rich and famous who fell from grace


image beaconimage beaconimage beacon