You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Women In This State Wash Their Hair The Least Often

Refinery29 logo Refinery29 8/3/2017 Rachel Krause

Refinery29 © Photographed by Erin Yamagata. Refinery29

The wheel is generally considered to be the most important invention of all time, which seems fair enough, but dry shampoo can’t be all that far behind. Much like it would be impossible to pinpoint the exact origin of the humble wheel, nobody can say for sure who first created a blend of highly absorbent powders and bottled ‘em up for use on no-wash days, only that it exists and the world is better for it.

Dry shampoo saves time, money (think of your water bill!), and the environment (provided your can doesn’t contain ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons, of course) — and, clearly, it also allows many American women to skip washing their hair for days on end. Everybody wins! A recent survey conducted by online beauty boutique Lookfantastic found that, while 49% of women washed and blowdried their hair every day, the other 51%... didn’t.

Element 1: <p><strong>As a Texturizer<br></strong>Fun fact: Many Hollywood hairstylists use dry shampoo on their clients to get that perfectly beachy look (like Chrissy here). Use it as you normally would on your roots and then lightly mist the mid-lengths and ends before going in with your curling iron to add some loose waves.</p><p><strong>As a Volumizer<br></strong>You already know what dry shampoo can do for dirty roots, but have you ever tried it on clean, shampooed hair? The starches in the spray <a href="http://www.purewow.com/beauty/Dry-Shampoo-Volumizing-Hack">bind to each strand</a>, which increases their diameter, so you end up with a thick, lush ’do.</p><p><strong>As a Styler<br></strong>Calling all ladies with pixies: Coat your fingertips with some dry shampoo and pinch any puffy pieces together to add some definition and polish. Whereas waxes or pomades can sometimes be too heavy (especially for ladies with very fine hair), dry shampoo is much lighter.</p><p><a href="http://www.purewow.com/beauty/pixie-haircuts"><strong>RELATED: </strong>10 Pixie Haircuts That Will Make You Want to Chop, Chop</a></p> 10 Ways to Use Dry Shampoo That You've Never Thought About California came in the cleanest, with the majority of the poll’s participants reporting that they washed their hair once a day, followed by Texas, Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina. On the other end of the spectrum, Alabama came out to an average of once every 5.5 days, followed by Nevada, Colorado, and Maryland, at once every 6 days. The winner in the least-washed hair category? Tennessee, which claimed an average of just once a week.

With so many differing opinions on how often to wash your hair for best results — a licensed expert believes that a clean scalp is a healthy scalp, while Connie Britton says that washing infrequently helps keep her iconic hair in such good shape, so it’s your call on who to believe — there’s no real wrong or right answer to the eternal question. You know your hair better than anyone, and if it looks and feels its best on day seven, with an inch-thick layer of dry shampoo buildup, then by all means. Still, you may want to consider an intensive cleansing treatment every so often, just for your scalp’s sake.

UP NEXT
UP NEXT

AdChoices

More from Refinery29

AdChoices

FIND SALONS NEAR ME

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon