You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

United Continental announces $3 billion buyback

CNBC logo CNBC 3 days ago Christine Wang

Oscar Munoz, chief executive officer of United Continental Holdings Inc..© Provided by CNBC Oscar Munoz, chief executive officer of United Continental Holdings Inc..

United Continenta announced a $3 billion buyback program after the market close Thursday.

Shares of the airline operator gained more than 1 percent in after-hours trade.

The company said in a statement that this amount represents about 17 percent of its market value as of its Wednesday closing price.

CFO Andrew Levy said in a statement that the share repurchase program "reflects the strength of our balance sheet and the confidence we have in our future."

In July, United approved a $2 billion buyback program, which the company expects to close by the end of the year.

As of their Thursday close, United shares have declined more than 12 percent so far this year.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from CNBC

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon