You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

The Most Fascinating Things You Never Knew You Could Invest In

GOBankingRates Logo By Joel Anderson of GOBankingRates | Slide 1 of 24: There’s no shortage of financial gurus out there who will remind you — repeatedly — that you need to invest for the future. Letting your savings grow and compound over the years is one of the only ways you can get your nest egg to the size necessary for a comfortable retirement. However, once many people begin the actual process of investing, they might discover that the sort of low-risk, static approach to investing that’s best for your retirement fund is really, really boring. So, while really boring is exactly what you want for the vast majority of your investments, it can also be a good idea to set aside some portion of your portfolio as “fun money.” After all, all something needs to have to be “investable” is a value that changes over time. Whether you’re talking about Beanie Babies or an apartment building in Wichita, Kansas, if you can earn income and/or potentially sell for a profit later, it’s an investment. And if you’re really turned off by the dull stock and bond investments, putting a small slice of your portfolio into something you really enjoy keeping track of can be a good idea. Even if you have some losses, investing 1% of your money in something that really interests you might be worth it if the end result is that you’re more engaged with what’s happening to the other 99%. So, here are a lot of really fascinating investments that you most likely didn’t realize were an option — and that you might have a lot more fun with. Last updated: Oct. 20, 2020 Sponsored: Investing for retirement is hard. Get expert advice from a trusted financial planner. Get Matched!

There’s no shortage of financial gurus out there who will remind you — repeatedly — that you need to invest for the future. Letting your savings grow and compound over the years is one of the only ways you can get your nest egg to the size necessary for a comfortable retirement. However, once many people begin the actual process of investing, they might discover that the sort of low-risk, static approach to investing that’s best for your retirement fund is really, really boring.

So, while really boring is exactly what you want for the vast majority of your investments, it can also be a good idea to set aside some portion of your portfolio as “fun money.” After all, all something needs to have to be “investable” is a value that changes over time. Whether you’re talking about Beanie Babies or an apartment building in Wichita, Kansas, if you can earn income and/or potentially sell for a profit later, it’s an investment. And if you’re really turned off by the dull stock and bond investments, putting a small slice of your portfolio into something you really enjoy keeping track of can be a good idea. Even if you have some losses, investing 1% of your money in something that really interests you might be worth it if the end result is that you’re more engaged with what’s happening to the other 99%.

So, here are a lot of really fascinating investments that you most likely didn’t realize were an option — and that you might have a lot more fun with.

Last updated: Oct. 20, 2020

Sponsored: Investing for retirement is hard. Get expert advice from a trusted financial planner. Get Matched!

© francescoch / Getty Images/iStockphoto

More from GOBankingRates

GOBankingRates
GOBankingRates
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon