You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Leader of attack on David Ortiz was paid about $7,800, police say

WCVB Boston logo WCVB Boston 6/13/2019
a man standing in front of a window: The chief of the Dominican National Police shows the firearm he said was used to shoot David Ortiz © Provided by Hearst Television, Inc. The chief of the Dominican National Police shows the firearm he said was used to shoot David Ortiz

The coordinator of the attack on former Red Sox superstar David Ortiz was offered 400,000 Dominican pesos to orchestrate the attack, according to Maj. Gen. Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, national police director.

a close up of a man: Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz © Provided by Hearst Television, Inc. Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz

That's equivalent to about $7,800.

Bautista and Chief Prosecutor Jean Alain Rodríguez spoke to reporters Wednesday but declined to give a motive for the shooting at a popular Santo Domingo bar Sunday night or say who had hired the attackers.

An alleged gunman and five accomplices have been detained in connection with the shooting, they said.

"At this moment, they are being interrogated, and we will continue deepening the investigation to get to the truth about what happened," Rodríguez said.

Four other suspects are also being pursued in the shooting, which witnesses said was carried out by two men on a motorcycle, assisted by two other groups of people in cars.

"Nobody involved in this unfortunate episode will escape justice, neither those who carried it out nor the mastermind," Rodríguez said.

"We recognize the symbolism that David Ortiz represents, and we promise that this case will be cleared up completely," Bautista said.

Among the suspects in custody is the alleged shooter, identified by authorities as Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz, aka Sandy, a skinny, tattooed 25-year-old who officials said had confessed to the shooting.

In a statement, officials said the weapon used, a Browning Hi Power semi-automatic pistol, had been handed to suspect Oliver Moises Mirabal Acosta, then to suspect Porfirio Allende Dechamps Vasquez, AKA The Kid, who buried it in the garden of his home.

Both men have been arrested and the gun has been recovered.

Also under arrest were Joel Rodríguez de la Cruz, aka Squiddy; Reynaldo Rodríguez Valenzuela, aka The Chinaman; and the suspected driver of the motorcycle, Eddy Vladimir Feliz García, aka The Package.

Ortiz is one of the most beloved figures in sports history in the Dominican Republic and Boston, a fearsome power hitter with a ready smile. The slugger known as Big Papi led the Red Sox to three World Series championships, was a 10-time All-Star and hit 541 home runs.

The Red Sox retired his number, 34, in 2017 - a year after he retired - and Boston renamed a bridge and a stretch of road outside Fenway Park in his honor. He maintains a home in Weston, on the outskirts of Boston.

Ortiz galvanized the city in the aftermath of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing that left three people dead, bellowing through a megaphone at Fenway Park: "This is our (expletive) city!"

While Ortiz lived in Boston, he visited the Dominican Republic at least six times a year, where he crossed paths with a wide variety of figures from the country's legitimate and illegal business worlds, according to friends.

Ortiz studiously avoided mixing with shady characters, but a law enforcement official said on condition of anonymity that officials were investigating whether Ortiz may have formed some relationship or acquaintance during a trip here that, without his knowledge, set off the chain of events leading to his shooting.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

READ MORE:Leader of attack on David Ortiz was paid about $7,800, police say

CHECK OUT WCVB:Get the latest Boston news, weather and sports online, anytime. Stay in the know with Boston’s news leader – WCVB.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from WCVB Boston

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon