You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Missing Vermont psychiactric patient found

MyNBC 5 1 day ago

a person posing for the camera © Provided by Hearst Television, Inc. Police say they've found Robert Ettori, 20, a patient who went missing from Rutland Regional Medical Center's psychiatric unit. He was found in Burlington and returned to the facility for treatment.

Rutland Police say Ettori contacted his mother Saturday and said he was staying near the UVM campus. She then called Rutland Police for their assistance.

Several hours later Ettori's parents picked him up in Burlington. He was driven to a location where Vermont State Troopers from the New Haven Barracks took him into custody.

Ettori was than escorted to the Addison County/Rutland County line where Sgt. Adam Lucia from the Rutland Police Department picked him up.

Sgt. Lucia transferred Ettori back to Rutland Regional Medical where he is now receiving his mental health evaluation.

Sgt. Lucia says he was found in good condition.

Ettori was scheduled for an evaluation Wednesday morning for delusional thoughts but refused it.

Ettori escaped from the facility about 10:55 a.m.

He was last seen entering the woods near Perkins Road.

Police said Ettori was only wearing boxer shorts when he escaped. They said Thursday he had clothes and shoes but they did not know what they were or where he got them.

Investigators believe Ettori broke into a home and stole the clothes and shoes.

A blanket was found on his family's front lawn.

"His family is more concerned about his safety (and) his well-being. The fact that he’s on his own making rash decisions, he’s clearly not wanting to be found. He’s running for whatever reason that is we don’t know why," Sgt. Jon Dickerson said.

Ettori's family did not want to talk about his disappearance.

Vermont State Police and the Vermont Army National Guard assisted with the search.

Doctors said Ettori was mentally ill and poses a danger to himself and others.

The hospital refused to release additional information about the situation and only said staff followed procedures.

NBC5 is gathering more information on this developing story. will update this story as soon as more information is available.

Download the MyNBC5 app | Like MyNBC5 on Facebook | Sign up for alerts

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon