You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

News: Top Stories

Doctors Find 27 Contact Lenses 'Bound Together by Mucus' in a Patient's Eye

Time logo Time 7/17/2017 Tessa Berenson

Video by Veuer

Doctors recently found 27 contact lenses in a patient’s eye while they were prepping her for surgery.

In a write-up in the British Medical Journal, the authors said the 17 of the lenses were stuck together in a “bluish . . . hard mass” and were “bound together by mucus.” Ten more were found by the surgeon with the help of a microscope.

The patient was 67 years old and had been wearing contact lenses for 35 years.

“She was quite shocked,” Rupal Morjaria, a specialist trainee ophthalmologist who worked with the patient and is one of the authors of the BMJ piece, told Optometry Today. “When she was seen two weeks after I removed the lenses she said her eyes felt a lot more comfortable.”

The paper says the patient had “deep set eyes” which might explain how the “unusually large” number of contacts could have been stuck. But Morjaria added that “none of us have ever seen this before.”

“It was such a large mass . . . We were really surprised that the patient didn’t notice it because it would cause quite a lot of irritation while it was sitting there.”

This article was originally published on

Gallery: Need an Eye Doctor? How to Choose the Right One For Your Eye Problem (by Serious eye symptoms: Got eye problems? There are a few symptoms that suggest you should see an eye specialist stat. They are: -Suddenly lose all or part of your vision. You might have a retinal detachment, which could lead to blindness. -See flashing lights and a bunch of floaters at once?also a red flag for retinal detachment. -Have sharp pain in or around your eyes. This could mean a corneal ulcer or infection—especially if you wear contacts, or if you have blurred vision, tearing, redness or discharge—and might result in vision loss or blindness.  Each of these problems, plus a need for contacts or other vision aids, requires a different type of eye doctor. Don't know what type of expert to see? Read on to learn the difference between an optometrist, ophthalmologist, and optician and which doctor you need to see, plus when you need to see them. Need an Eye Doctor? How to Choose the Right One For Your Eye Problem


More from TIME

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon