You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Fox News backs CNN’s lawsuit against Trump administration

The Hill logo The Hill 11/14/2018 Avery Anapol

a man wearing a suit and tie: The White House revoked CNN correspondent Jim Acosta's press pass. © Greg Nash The White House revoked CNN correspondent Jim Acosta's press pass. Fox News announced Wednesday that it would back rival CNN's lawsuit against the Trump administration.

Fox News President Jay Wallace said in a statement that the network intends to file an amicus brief with a U.S. District Court in the lawsuit.

CNN filed suit against the White House on Tuesday seeking the return of correspondent Jim Acosta's press credentials, which were revoked last week after a testy exchange with President Trump during a press conference.

"FOX News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter's press credential. We intend to file an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court. Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized," Wallace said.

"While we don't condone the growing antagonistic tone by both the President and the press at recent media avails, we do support a free press, access and open exchanges for the American people."

CNN has argued that the Trump administration violated Acosta's First and Fifth Amendment rights of free speech and due process. The case was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., and is being overseen by Judge Timothy Kelly, a Trump appointee, who scheduled a hearing in the case for Wednesday.

The White House dismissed CNN's lawsuit on Tuesday, accusing the network of "grandstanding." White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Acosta "is no more or less special than any other media outlet or reporter with respect to the First Amendment."

The White House has argued that it was justified in suspending Acosta's hard pass after he did not allow a White House intern to take the microphone from him during a press conference when Trump cut him off after he asked several questions about the migrant caravan and the federal Russia probe.

"After Mr. Acosta asked the President two questions — each of which the President answered — he physically refused to surrender the White House microphone to an intern, so that other reporters might ask their questions," Sanders said in a statement Tuesday.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More From The Hill

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon