You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

John Fogerty says he sent cease-and-desist letter over Trump’s use of ‘Fortunate Son’

New York Daily News logo New York Daily News 3 days ago Tim Balk

John Fogerty, upset that his song “Fortunate Son” has been deployed at President Trump’s rallies, said Friday that he has sent a cease-and-desist letter.

“He is using my words and my voice to portray a message that I do not endorse,” Fogerty said in a statement.

Last month, Fogerty expressed puzzlement over Trump’s airing of the anti-Vietnam War anthem. The former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman noted that the raging tune targets the hypocrisy of flag-waving Americans who slump away when the time comes to serve.


Video: ELECTION FACTS 2020: Ways To Request Mail-In Ballots (CBS Miami)

UP NEXT
UP NEXT

Trump repeatedly avoided the draft.

a person riding a skate board on a stage: John Fogerty plays guitar. © PATRICK DOYLE John Fogerty plays guitar.

John Fogerty plays guitar. (PATRICK DOYLE/)

“I find it confusing, I would say, that the President has chosen to use my song for his political rallies when in fact, it seems like he is probably the Fortunate Son,” Fogerty, a 75-year-old veteran, said in a video posted to social media in September.

On Friday, in a tweet sharing his statement, Fogerty included a grainy image of himself in uniform.

He also continued to chastise Trump, saying in the statement that the President not only reflects issues raised in the song, he also “fans the flames of hatred, racism and fear.”

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from New York Daily News

New York Daily News
New York Daily News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon