You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

California not taking part in enhanced U.S. border security operation

Reuters logo Reuters 4/16/2018

In this June 22, 2016 photo, Border Patrol agents stands near a border structure in San Diego. © AP Photo/Gregory Bull In this June 22, 2016 photo, Border Patrol agents stands near a border structure in San Diego. The state of California has opted not to take part in the Trump administration's effort to send National Guard troops to the country's southern border with Mexico, a Defense Department official confirmed at a briefing Monday.

Robert Salesses, a deputy assistant secretary at the Defense Department, said California has declined to commit more than 200 troops to the effort. Salesses said talks with California are ongoing. Earlier this month, President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary James Mattis authorized up to 4,000 National Guard personnel to help the Department of Homeland Security secure the border in four southwestern U.S. states.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Leslie Adler)

AdChoices
AdChoices

More From Reuters

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon